Child Support

How do I get a child support order?-

Applications for child support services are made through the Oregon Department of Justice, Division of Child Support. Using information we obtain along with what you provide, we use a formula called the child support guidelines to determine the child support amount.

See also:

How do I get a child support order modified?

You may ask for a review of the child support and/or medical child support terms of your support order. The review will begin only if:

  1. It has been at least 36 months since the date the support order was entered, reviewed or last modified; or
  2. You can show proof there has been a substantial change of circumstances. This could mean a change in custody, the needs of the child(ren), or the number of children covered by the support order. It could also mean a significant change in a parent’s income, or a change in medical child support.

See also:

How do I get a child support order enforced?

There are many tools available to the Child Support Program to enforce child support and medical insurance. These include sending monthly billing statements to the non-custodial parent showing the current amount due and any past due amounts, income withholding, collecting federal and state tax refunds to pay past due support, placing liens on property, garnishing other assets, license suspensions, credit reporting and court proceedings.

See also:


Crime Information

I have received a subpoena - now what happens?

You may be subpoenaed to testify as a witness in a case if you are a victim, saw what happened or have other information related to the case. Your subpoena will tell you the date and time to appear in court. Unless you are instructed otherwise, you should report to the District Attorney's Office at the time indicated on the subpoena. Arriving promptly will give you time before going to court to talk with the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case and get some idea of what to expect in court.

See also:

How do I report a crime?

Contact your local police agency to report a crime. If this is an emergency - call 9-1-1 immediately.


Criminal Prosecution

What should I do if I suspect a child I know is being abused?

In Washington County you should report abuse to the DHS Office by calling their dedicated child abuse reporting hotline at 503-681-6917. Their main number is also available toll free at 1-800-275-8952. Both numbers are available 24 hours a day.

See also:

What is Grand Jury?

The grand jury is a group of seven citizens who are selected from the jury pool to hear evidence on crimes committed in Washington County. After hearing the testimony of the witnesses, the grand jury decides whether or not to issue an indictment (file charges) against the defendant. Grand jury proceedings are not held in a courtroom and no judge is present. Under most circumstances, the only persons permitted to attend the grand jury hearing are the grand jurors, the District Attorney and the witnesses, who testify one at a time. Neither the defendant nor the defendant's attorney is allowed to be present while witnesses are testifying.

What is an expungement? How do I get one?

Oregon law allows a person to apply to set aside the record of an arrest and certain convictions. Expungement is the process by which a criminal conviction and/or arrest is destroyed and erased from court records. The court orders official records sealed and it is as if the violation leading to the arrest or conviction did not occur. Some crimes may not be expunged. The Oregon Statute outlining this process is ORS 137.225. The website for Washington County Circuit Court has additional information and forms.

See also:

What do I do if I've been sexually assaulted?

Please file a report with your local law enforcement agency, or the agency located where the assault occurred. If the assault happened less than 84 hours ago or if you sustained injuries you should have a medical examination. If you are 14 or younger, please go to CARES Northwest, located at Legacy Emanuel Hospital (503) 331-2400. If you are 15 or older, please go to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center (503) 216-2861.

See also:

What do I do if I get a subpoena?

Your subpoena will tell you the date and time to appear in court. Unless you are instructed otherwise, you should report to the District Attorney's Office at the time indicated on the subpoena. This will give you time before going to court to talk with the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case and get some idea of what you will be asked in court.

See also:

What can I expect from the criminal case process?

A criminal case will go through many of the following phases: investigation, arrest, filing criminal charges, arraignment, preliminary hearing, Grand Jury, entering a plea, pre-trial negotiations, trial, civil compromise, sentencing, appeal.

See also:

What can I do if I'm a victim of identity theft?

  1. Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus (the numbers are listed on the Identity Theft Resources page). Request that a "fraud alert" be placed in your file, including a statement that creditors should get your permission before opening any new accounts in your name. At the same time, ask the credit bureaus for copies of your credit reports. They must give you a free copy if you believe it to be inaccurate because of fraud. Review the report carefully to make sure no additional fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name or unauthorized changes made to your existing accounts. In a few months, order new copies of your reports to verify your corrections and changes, and to make sure no new fraudulent activity has occurred.
  2. Contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department, and tell them what has happened. Record who you spoke with and when; and ask them for their direct phone number. Finally, follow up your conversation with a letter. Following up with a letter is one of the procedures spelled out in the Fair Credit Billing Act for resolving errors on credit billing statements, including charges that you have not made.
  3. File a report with your local law enforcement agency, or the agency located where the identity theft occurred. Keep copies of this report because some creditors may want proof

See also:

What are Measure 11 crimes?

Measure 11 is a 1994 ballot initiative that established mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes and serious sex offenses only. It does not apply to drug crimes or property crimes.

See also:



What other jobs are there at the District Attorney's Office?

Clerical/Office Staff Job openings for support staff and other professional opportunities are posted through Washington County Human Resources. Open positions will be posted on the Human Resources Division Job Listing website. Volunteer and Internship Opportunities Our Victim Assistance Program is always seeking community volunteers and student interns interested in helping victims of crime. Visit our Volunteer & Intern web page in the Employment and Volunteer section, or contact the Volunteer and Intern Coordinator at (503) 846-3495 for more details about volunteer and internship opportunities.

See also:

How can I become a law clerk?

The Washington County District Attorney's Office hires law clerks on a year-long basis. Partnering with the three Oregon law schools, the interviewing process begins in January for positions that begin in June. To be eligible you must currently be enrolled in law school. Only students who will be second- and third-year law students will be hired as law clerks. For more information, visit our Law Clerks web page.

How can I become a Deputy District Attorney?

When Deputy District Attorney positions are available, they are posted on our website as well as through Career Services at the three Oregon law schools. If you are currently a member in good standing of the Oregon State Bar, you may submit an application and cover letter, with the information listed below. Our policy is to retain all applications pending a vacancy. When one occurs, we screen the applications on file and schedule interviews with selected candidates. In order to assist us in the evaluation process, please send us the following:

  1. Grades from college and law school
  2. Written recommendations from three individuals, two of whom are members of the legal profession.
  3. An application form.

See also:


Special Programs

What is Drug Court?

Drug Court is an effective alternative for some of the county's most seriously drug-involved offenders. The program is a collaborative effort between the District Attorney's Office, the Court, Community Corrections, the Sheriff's Office and local defense attorneys and treatment providers. The goal of the program is to remove selected offenders with drug problems and criminal charges from the continual "recycling" process of the criminal justice system. Eligible defendants may plead guilty to the criminal charge and be placed on probation and participate in an extensive drug treatment program.

See also:

What is Mental Health Court?

The Washington County Mental Health Court is a post-conviction program targeted toward non-violent offenders with serious mental health diagnoses.  This court is a collaborative multidisciplinary effort headed by Judge Jim Fun and a staffing team with representatives of the District Attorney's office, Metropolitan Public Defender, Community Corrections, the Sheriff's Office, Adult Mental Health Services for Washington County, Oregon Health and Sciences University Forensic Psychiatric Program and various community based mental health specialists.  The goal of this court is to assist non-violent offenders whose criminality is influenced by their mental illness successfully complete their probation.  There is a strong emphasis on connecting participants to mental health treatment, drug and alcohol treatment and completing all of the conditions of supervision including paying restitution, completing community service and engaging in positive activities such as work or school.

See also:


Victim Assistance

What rights do I have as a victim of crime?

You have rights as a victim of a crime. Some rights are automatic, but some must be specifically requested by the victim to go into effect. If you are the victim of a crime and would like to invoke certain rights, please complete the Victims' Rights Request form.

See also:

How do I get a restraining order?

To apply for a protection order, please contact the Domestic Violence Resource Center's Protective Order Advocacy Program at (503) 640-5352 ext. 604.

See also: