Civil protection orders are intended to protect a victim from abuse.  If granted a civil protection order, the courts can order that the abusive person (respondent) not contact the victim (petitioner) in person, by phone, e-mail, text message or through a third party.  A civil protection order can order a respondent to not come within 100 yards of the petitioner, their home and workplace, as well as other locations.

There are many types of civil protection orders.  The Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA) restraining orders can prohibit contact by an abusive intimate partner, ex-partner, parent, child or other family member.  The Elderly Persons and Persons with Disability Abuse Prevention Act (EPPDAPA), also known as an Elder Abuse order, can prohibit contact by an abusive family member, partner, ex-partner, child or caretaker. 

Stalking Civil Protection Orders, also known as stalking orders, prohibit a person from stalking another person.  This order does not require the petitioner and respondent to be intimate partners, ex-partners or family members.  Juveniles are also eligible to obtain a civil stalking order against another juvenile or an adult and a restraining order in certain circumstances.

To apply for a Protection Order, please contact the Domestic Violence Resource Center's Protective Order Advocacy Program at (503) 640-5352.

Violations of Protective Orders
Violations of protective orders should be reported to the police.  Violations of both restraining orders and stalking orders are mandatory arrest situations for police.  Violations usually result in probation and mandated treatment.  An offender may be sentenced to jail for any violation.  A civil stalking order violation can be a felony under certain circumstances which could result in a prison sentence.

Civil Matters
Frequently petitioners of protection orders will find themselves dealing with other issues such as custody and visitation, modifications to the protective order, requests for dismissal and dissolution.  The Washington County District Attorney's Office does not handle civil matters.  If you need assistance with civil matters, please contact:

Legal Aid Services of Oregon
(503) 648-7163

St. Andrews Legal Clinic
Multnomah County - (503) 281-1500   Washington County - (503) 648-1600

Oregon State Bar Modest Means Program
1-800- 452-7636

The National Crime Victim Bar Association
1-800-FYI-CALL   (1-800-394-2255)